Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pro Bowling it up

I got pulled into the Pro Bowl bandwagon this year, and I have to say ... it was awesome. I have the sunburn, sore feet and photos to prove it.

Saturday stared off meeting a bus of military families at Fort Shafter at 7:45 a.m., before heading out to Ohana Day. Even though I got to sleep in a half an hour, I was seriously questioning why I was torturing myself by giving up a day of sleeping in when the story was going to be covered by someone else. But I'm so glad I did. The morning started off with almost being trampled by the mascots in the tunnel, until I caught the eagle eye of Swoop, the Philadelphia Eagles mascot. I was a bit thrown have - as this was my first time being hit on by a grown man in an animal costume, even Halloween costumes - so I just sort of plastered myself against the wall and laughed nervously. I doubt anyone would have done any differently as an eagle starts petting its own feathers while talking to you.

After that, the day progressed normally. At least as normal as it can be with a bunch of pro football players around. I was properly professional, until the NFC players can out. Then I might have started smiling like a loon and hyperventilating as I snapped photos of Aaron Rogers, Clay Matthews, Greg Jennings, Charles Woodson, Scott Wells and BJ Raji; all Packers players of course.

Later that evening, Waikiki shut down one of three main roads for a block party, which is cool if you're already in Waikiki but horrendous if you're trying to get in. I went basically because I like walking in the street. It really is the simple things in life. Plus, I got to wear Packers clothes, which doesn't happen much since I left Wisconsin. Other states are not as accepting,  and no one would ever thing of wearing team apparel to church.

Today was game day. Lets fast-forward over traffic and parking woes that never seem to dissipate here in Hawaii and get to the point where I get a shinny media badge with my name and photo on it, walk through the tunnel and out onto the field. Throughout the pre-show and game, I keep expecting someone to toss me off the field. Like "hey, your camera sucks! You shouldn't even be out here." But it never happened! I just got to walk all around, at least behind the yellow line, taking photos of football players without being threatened with a lawsuit or shovel. I even chatted with a couple security guards, one who left Bulgaria as a political refugee in the 80s. His mom is doing poorly so now he regrets moving to Hawaii from Florida nine years ago. Yes. I know his whole life story.

After more than 6 hours of standing in the sunshine, I have some sunburn, sore feet and great photos.

Top three coolest experiences "working:"
1. interviewing Skillet backstage and photos onstage during the concert;

2. photographing Packers playing on the field during the Pro Bowl; and

3. interviewing Nigel Barker.

No comments:

Post a Comment